Dinnie Stones

Moderator: David Horne

Dinnie Stones

Postby Carl » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:23 pm

Hi I've recently decided to challenge the Dinnie stones next year and I'm looking for some advice from anyone who has tried it. What would be the best approach to take, training-wise?

Any help is gratefully received.

Carl
Carl

Re: Dinnie Stones

Postby David Horne » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:59 am

Carl,
Nice to see you here.

I've lifted them a few times, here's an article by me.

HOW I TRAINED TO LIFT THE DINNIE STEENS
By David Horne
http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/article10.html
Consistency is key!
David Horne

Postby samurai69 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:31 am

i lifted them 4 times this year, 3 without straps and once with straps

davids trainers are excellent training aids as are straddle bar deadlifts and heavy rack pulls

when you do go up there, make sure you position the stones well as they are on a slight hill...........many prefer to lift the heavier stone at front, i lifted with the lighter stone at front, but i think that goes down to personal choice

if your lucky there are another two stones (origionally dinnie trainers) that should be situated along the road to strachan about 2 miles up they are new and a little heavier we went up and tried them after the dinnies and at the time where a little too heavy after the exhertion of the dinnies i managed the 2 lighter stones there, next year i am going up again and will look up the "Nichols Stones" for a proper attempt at them
samurai69

Postby Carl » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:18 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.
David - The article is an interesting read. The one hand side-bends you mention in the articel, what type of poundages were you using for this? Close to the actual stones or a lighter weight with more repetitions? Do you still make/sell the Dinnie trainers?
Samurai - How much easier did you find it with straps? I don't intend to use straps but I would be interested to hear how different you found it. Do you have a rough guess what the other stones weigh?

Carl
Carl

Postby Kris Wragg » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:27 pm

The replica rings are on David's shop:

http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/shop.html#dinnies

I have a set, they are great! :)
Kris Wragg

Postby David Horne » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:30 pm

Carl,
This is what I worked to, One Hand Side Bends 108kg x 5 reps either side. It actually says it in the article lol.

Yep still sell them. They are made to order.
http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/shop.html#dinnies
Consistency is key!
David Horne

Postby Carl » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:36 pm

Kris - Thanks for the link, ill get them ordered.
David - Sorry, should have been clearer. What I was trying to get at was what type of rep range did you work on... I.e sets of 5 then increse weight or did you just do more sets at 108kg.

Thanks,

Carl
Carl

Postby David Horne » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:41 pm

The side bends were done at the end for some extra assistance work, weight was always around the 90-100k zone for as many.

I used a strong tricep bar bar the side bends. It works well.
Consistency is key!
David Horne

Postby Carl » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:43 pm

OK that's great. I'll start adding them on the end of some sessions and see how they go.

Carl
Carl

Postby samurai69 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:12 am

Carl wrote:Thanks for the replies guys.
David - The article is an interesting read. The one hand side-bends you mention in the articel, what type of poundages were you using for this? Close to the actual stones or a lighter weight with more repetitions? Do you still make/sell the Dinnie trainers?
Samurai - How much easier did you find it with straps? I don't intend to use straps but I would be interested to hear how different you found it. Do you have a rough guess what the other stones weigh?

Carl

the straps in training helped me get to the poundage i wanted to lift then worked on lifting the weight without straps, to be honest when i was up in scotland lifting i dont think the straps felt that much different, maybe as it was the 4th lift it helped already tired hands a bit

the other stones came in around 400kg total

after david mentioned the side bends i started to add them in to my workouts too and withen with a twist/rotation to mimick the stones further

samurai69

Next

Return to Stone Lifting