Criccieth Stone Annual Challenge.

Moderator: David Horne

Criccieth Stone Annual Challenge.

Postby Trevor Ray » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:25 pm

Hi everyone.
I am the current Guardian of the Criccieth feat stone.
As many of you know, this historic Welsh feat stone was recently re discovered by Roger Davis during his research on british challenge stones.
It was customary in times gone by for Welsh feat stones to be attempted on a Saints day festival. With this in mind it was decided to hold an annual stone lifting event for the Criccieth stone on the nearest weekend to Saint David`s Day.
Roger put me in touch with David Horne who has been kindly helping us to arrange the first event on March 3rd 2012.
I asked David if it would be ok for me to start a thread here to share the plans for the event and ask for your help, ideas and suggestions to make this first event a success.

So far this is how the event is shaping up...
First and foremost we are hoping to make the event a fun day and a recognition and celebration of the challenge of stone lifting.
We are planning to have a hog roast at the event and hope to create a great atmosphere on the day for athletes, and visitors.
We are hoping to generate a lot of interest. There will be spectators of course as well as the press.
I have received some sponsorship interest too.

The event will NOT be a competition as such.
As you all know better than me, stone lifting is an inward challenge and anyone stepping up to the mark to try a lift is a winner in my book.
There are however 3 levels of successful lift and we are hoping to have medals made and awarded for each successful lift.

There will be a draw where athletes draw for their turn. After everyone has had their turn there will be a call for anyone who wants a second attempt.

I am hoping you guys may have more ideas and hope many of you can make it on the day.

Please post here with any suggestions or questions. Also feel free to contact me either by pm here, or via the Criccieth Memorial Hall website.
http://www.cricciethmemorialhall.com/St ... ength.html

Thanks,

Trevor Ray.
Trevor Ray

Re: Criccieth Stone Annual Challenge.

Postby David Horne » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:36 pm

Looking forward to the day!
Just over 8 weeks away.

11am start.
Consistency is key!
David Horne

Postby David Horne » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:01 pm

Just been told that they have changed the date of the Criccieth Challenge to June 16th.
We are still going up to lift the Criccieth stone, now on Sunday, March 4 at 10.30am.
Consistency is key!
David Horne

Postby Trevor Ray » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:18 pm

Yes, unfortunately the date for the Criccieth Stone Annual Challenge has been delayed until June 16th.

It is taking longer than expected to get this event organised, and it was decided by the organisers, to move the date of the challenge to June 16th, which is the start of the Criccieth Festival.
The delay will allow more time to better prepare for the event and hopefully it will be worth the wait.

I know some have already planned their trip for the St David`s day weekend, and of course I will be available to oversee any attempts, and will open the hall and the guest book for anyone who wishes to visit on that, (or any other) weekend.

My contact details are on the Criccieth Memorial Hall website:

Regards,

Trevor.
Trevor Ray

Postby LesWiltshire » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:03 pm

There will be a challenge day on Saturday 16th June 2012 to lift the Criccieth Stone.

The following link will give the details you need to enter, the event is open to all comers.

There are three levels of lift, break the ground, to the chest and to the shoulder.
Criccieth's stone of strength is around 160-180 Kg in weight and was recently re-discovered outside the Memorial Hall by Rodger Davis, of Hemel Hempstead, on August Bank Holiday 2011.

Rules for lifting the Feat Stone

1. Treat the stone with respect.
2. No lifting aids, straps etc may be used.
3. No “Tacky” or sticky substances.
4. Chalk may be used.
5. Replace the stone where you have found it.
6. Be proud of your attempt if you have given your best.
7. Sign the guestbook to build the legend of the stone.

You can enter via the link or by replying to this post.

Its going to be a great family day out with lots going on to keep young and old entertained
LesWiltshire

Postby David Horne » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:42 am

Consistency is key!
David Horne

Postby David Horne » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:33 am

Info from Les.
Cracking day, weather a bit iffy, but all attempts were carried out under a marquee to keep lifter and stone dry.

15 lifters attempted the egg-shaped granite stone, which weighs 177.5 kgs.
There are 3 levels of lift:
Level 1: Break the ground
Level 2: To the chest
Level 3: To the shoulder

The contenders lifted in this order, their achievements are as follows:
Steve Burr: No lift
Liyr Hughes: Level 1
Philip Lloyd: No lift
Simon Johnston: Level 2
Gerard Matthews: No lift
Reuben Hughes: Level 1
Aaron Hughes: Level 1
Abner Hughes: Level 1
Daniel Hughes: Level 1
Abner Hughes Snr: No lift
Gwynant Roberts: Level 1
Dylan Humphries: No lift
Richard Watkins: Level 1
Llifon Johns: Level 1
Carwyn Jones: No lift

Fantastic level 2 (to the chest) lift from Si Johnston, the only lifter to achieve a level 2 lift, and to pocket £100 as well, courtesy of sponsors AGRI TRADER
Aaron Hughes did manage to get the stone onto his lap, but no further.
Liyr Hughes, who managed a level 1 lift is only 17 years of age, while Abner Hughes Snr is 70 years old, he did however successfully lift the stone some 42 years ago, and that lift is documented. His sons, Rueben,Aaron, Abner and Daniel are obviously following in their father's footsteps.

The weather wasn't good, but we all had a fabulous day, great to see these tests of strength making a comeback, taking us right back to the roots of 'strongman'.

Heres to next year!!
Consistency is key!
David Horne

Return to Stone Lifting