It's not the dinnies...

Moderator: David Horne

Re: It's not the dinnies...

Postby David Horne » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:03 pm

Mate, absolutely not a fail!
I put it at a 9/10 performance.

Reasons:
Raining; I know about this and it doesn't help.
Lifting them with them outside of the legs, which means the heavy one will dig in and drag up the leg, causing more friction. Straddle them!

Finally you lifted them to a good height. Lift them straddle style and you will piss it!

james grahame wrote:It was a bit of a dry run for the Dinnies to be honest. It is a 3 hour drive from Melbourne and there is just the two stones when you get there.

I did my Dinnie attempt today but it did not go as I wanted.

Had trained hard for a strapless attempt but didn't manage it. I practiced with your replica rings (which are fantastic) but the real stones move much more than oly plates did and it took me 4 attempts to even get close. In the end I only succeeded with straps.

http://youtu.be/_i3Ohz4s_yQ
Consistency is key!
David Horne

Postby james grahame » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:57 pm

Cheers mate, thanks for the kind words.

I had been training suitcase style as my dodgy knee dislikes the feel of the straddle.

It has been a long trip and emotional lifting, so will give myself a few days to consider a return match with the stones. I am building up quite a backlog as I still have unfinished business with the Binks stones ;)
james grahame

Postby David Horne » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:23 pm

James,
Please go back to these stones now, as long as your skin is ok.
It is time to sort them now.
Head there on a good day; from next Wednesday (I think) is getting some good weather. Keep a check on Met Office.

Strap the knee up heavily, put the stones together and straddle. Put the heavy stone behind.
You'll definitely do it!

james grahame wrote:Cheers mate, thanks for the kind words.

I had been training suitcase style as my dodgy knee dislikes the feel of the straddle.

It has been a long trip and emotional lifting, so will give myself a few days to consider a return match with the stones. I am building up quite a backlog as I still have unfinished business with the Binks stones ;)
Consistency is key!
David Horne

Postby james grahame » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:13 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. :D

The skin is fine apart from a small tear on the ring finger of the right hand. Although my right thumb is a bit bruised and sore from hook grip and my knees are sore.

I am off with Peter Martin next weekend for some stones (but I don't think the dinnies are in his plans). If I can't get back to them next week I will get back the following week. I would like a return match
james grahame

Postby David Horne » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:39 pm

Have fun!
Consistency is key!
David Horne

Postby james grahame » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:59 pm

David Horne wrote:Have fun!

The trip with Peter was fantastic. Did not try the dinnies (this time) but we did a number of stones I had never heard of before. Several of them were unlike anything I had expected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc3NTW3L ... jmRnIrM7lw
james grahame

Postby David Horne » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:32 pm

James,
I'm just back from a weeks holiday to Anglesey.
Anyway, superb video, and lifting!
Consistency is key!
David Horne

Postby Jarrod Riordan » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:54 am

David Horne wrote:Mate, absolutely not a fail!
I put it at a 9/10 performance.

Reasons:
Raining; I know about this and it doesn't help.
Lifting them with them outside of the legs, which means the heavy one will dig in and drag up the leg, causing more friction. Straddle them!

Finally you lifted them to a good height. Lift them straddle style and you will piss it!

james grahame wrote:It was a bit of a dry run for the Dinnies to be honest. It is a 3 hour drive from Melbourne and there is just the two stones when you get there.

I did my Dinnie attempt today but it did not go as I wanted.

Had trained hard for a strapless attempt but didn't manage it. I practiced with your replica rings (which are fantastic) but the real stones move much more than oly plates did and it took
me 4 attempts to even get close. In the end I only succeeded with straps.

http://youtu.be/_i3Ohz4s_yQ

I Agree. That was a Good Attempt and Cleared from the Ground.
Jarrod Riordan

Postby james grahame » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:10 pm

Hope you had a good holiday David.

Jarrod, thanks for the encouragement.

I have been to Alva to compete at the Highland Games (was last or 2nd last. They didn't announce the minor places) and am now in Pitlochry.
Lifted the Menzies stone. Very smooth, pretty sure some cheeky person has been polishing that stone! :roll:
james grahame

Previous

Return to Stone Lifting